Sunday, January 31, 2016

Week 4 #evomc16

Week 4  #evomc16

Last week’s unexpected six-day winter vacation completely derailed my schedule and plans for work and study.  Who wants to work when there’s a blizzard and homemade chili in the kitchen?  Not me.  So, I was not as efficient as I could have been, but I did drink a cup of tea for three hours Monday morning, caught up on sleep and thought about homework and reports.  Most of which I got done in an exhausting 48-hour marathon on Thursday and Friday.

Saturday was an interesting day; I woke up to read that the White House had announced a $4 billion computer science initiative for K-12 students.  Computer literacy is now a basic skill.  We’ll see how it plays out.

Later in the morning, I went to Microsoft’s  #HacktheClassroom , which I feared would be a two-hour advertisement, but it was not.  There was, as usual, a lot of data, but I took away two new things that I want to use in a future classroom:  Code.org and OneNote.  Code.org has online computer science fundamentals and an “hour of code” with Minecraft https://code.org/mc.  I have always ignored OneNote on my computer, but it apparently can be extremely valuable in a classroom (with computers), and I would like to explore how to use it.

This morning, I took a tour of Thorsten Groß and his students’ Minecraft Ricarda-Huch-Schule.  Impressive but very intimidating.  However, I did learn how to jump, which I did not even know was possible because I always fly.  I want to add a basketball court to my ranch before we go into survival mode.

Later, I spent hours in survival mode alone.  My first try was ended by a zombie on the first night.  Oh well.  In my second try, I lasted for five days and five and a half nights and then was killed by a zombie.  I could not find coal for fire, only diorite, and the nights were spent huddled in a hollow with a sword.  And I didn’t eat at all because there were only rabbits which refused to be food.  They just got mad and jumped away.

On the last night, with only half a heart, I knew it was over.  A zombie was jumping up and down on the ledge in front of me, and then a second one came at me from the right.  All I had was a stone sword, and it didn’t work to my advantage this time.  I learned a lot about gathering and crafting, and realized I am at a real disadvantage without a mouse.  I am really clumsy right clicking with my touch-pad mouse while crafting, and I need to practice before going into multiplayer survivor.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds similar to my own beginning experiences in survival. A mouse is essential! That's awesome that you're getting in there, allowing yourself to fail, and learning from it!

    ReplyDelete

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...