Thursday, February 8, 2018

CAN I PLEASE HAVE YOUR ATTENTION

CAN I PLEASE HAVE YOUR ATTENTION

Hi, everyone. Once again I would like to ask everyone to please NOT attempt to visit the desert biome I have recently discovered. This is now the site for formal research data collection which Jane and I hope may eventually yield publishable results.

We will be collecting game-play recordings (including voice) for the three players (Jane, Mattie, and Emanual). They will be engaged in a task similar to the current "temple question" although with no photo clues. I will bring them into the biome, then leave. I will not be participating in the play. They will know that there are (in fact) four temples in this biome, but will be given no further information. It's actually a fairly small biome and therefore perfect for our purpose. Jane and I have discussed it and agreed that having all player use the 1st person mode will make things easier for us later on. Also we'll have everyone set their FOV to 80.

After we have finished our data collection, you are all welcome to visit.

3 comments:

  1. My present trajectory takes me a bit west of where I see on the dynamic map that you are perched just north of a desert biome. At least now we know where it is and what to avoid. Is the Island to the east of it part of your experiment? Of course it would be a great boon for all of us for an experiment to be conducted (and written up) in the course of #evomc18, so good luck with it, and let us know when we can visit.

    Incidentally if you or anyone else is interested in publishing in TESL-EJ, I'm On the Internet editor there. I'm always looking for articles (every three months). This project looks like it would be publishable, by my estimation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vance. All the desert areas visible in the photo above are part of the research site. This will be a long-term project and will certainly not be concluded during EVOMC18. The multi-modal "transcription" alone might take months and the analysis many months after that. This will be the most challenging data set I have ever worked with. Anyway, you get the picture.

    BTW, Jane found another research article in the same journal issue that I provided a link to a couple of days ago. The article Jane found is right on target:

    Palomeque, C and Pujola, J. (2018) "Managing multimodal data in virtual world research for language learning" ReCALL, page 1 of 19. 2018 © European Association for Computer Assisted Language Learning 1 doi:10.1017/S0958344017000374

    ReplyDelete

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...