Friday, February 9, 2018

Can we talk tech?

Can we talk tech?
I guess this is directed to the person(s) "behind-the-curtain"... infrastructure-wise...

What kind of configuration are running on? ( our in-world performance is pretty good even when many are on, spread out out over the world, accessing many areas simultaneously)

Dynmap seemed to me (not knowing anything about how or in-what the coding) to be very resource intensive, and even tho a bit slow at times, it too seemed to perform an amazing-heap-o-workload (a technical term), but you mentioned running out of space at single digit Gbs. I come from a odd genetic background with roots in both the left and right-brained disciplines (I think those terms/concepts are out of vogue now), but I work with graphics and we usually talk Tbs if we are going to be constrained to single digits. ;)

I don''t have any "new" equipment here... but I have a lot of toys. Maybe there is something laying about that would be an "upgrade"?

I know sometimes there are "other constraints" involved. When it came to hooking something up to the network (prior to), my IT department was "careful" in many ways... looking at security, upkeep & maint., actual "physical" issues like heat power requirements, noise(!?), providing access, and misc. other things that I was used to just "dealing with as they came up". I gradually became educated to some of the concepts, but not as many as I would have liked (it would be noice to be "admin-savvy" (but def. not to be "admin-responsible") ).

I ask for two purposes...
I. to get real-world data out there, about what it takes to "serve" a reasonable minecraft world (population/performance wise)
II. to offer resource support if I am able/it is "an option"

thanx for all you do
Dakotah

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...