Sunday, January 11, 2015

Player builds a working Word Processor inside of Minecraft.

Player builds a working Word Processor inside of Minecraft. This is what people do in their free time when not at school 'learning'.

Have you encountered any Minecraft builds that have you amazed?

What I find fascinating is the time required to do this (conception, pre-planning, building, testing) is leisure. Stebbins (1992) described the phenomenon of serious leisure and how people engage in what could be considered work in their free time. However over the last 50 years leisure has in terms of media meant consumptive entertainment. To relax we consume music, movies, books etc. With the rise of Web 2.0 and collaborative entertainment people are able to engage in mentally challenging entertainment and share it with a global community.

As a teacher I struggle with assigning a drill-and-kill worksheet knowing that some of my students can do this level of work in Minecraft for fun. Determining my role as an educator in a world where information and learning are both ubiquitous and free has been exciting and frustrating.

#evomc15  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_ULtNYRCbg

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...