Thursday, February 2, 2017

As my epic journey across the expanse of the Mincraft wilderness continues, it has me thinking about teaching.

As my epic journey across the expanse of the Mincraft wilderness continues, it has me thinking about teaching. Recently, I passed through an icy winter biome and having ran low on supplies, I got to thinking about the book The Worst Journey in the World. It's a fantastic read on an ill-fated expedition to the South Pole and would be an interesting complimentary read to my Minecraft adventure. Now I'm kicking around a course idea where players have to survive an arctic biome and read survival literature like Worst Journey or perhaps reading about Shackleton's expedition to Antarctica.

Anyway, it has me thinking about other traditional literacies that I could pair up with Minecraft. A few years back I taught a writing class that paired Minecraft and the book World War Z. Our goal was to better understand the experiences of the characters in the book by having similar experiences in-game. The reading and the gameplay fueled our writing. It was fun.

Any thoughts? Based on your in-game experiences what book, movie, or TV show would be a good pairing for the classroom?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Journey_in_the_World

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...