Friday, January 12, 2018

How do people build these amazing (and as accurate the resolution of blocks allows) renditions of real-world objects?

How do people build these amazing (and as accurate the resolution of blocks allows) renditions of real-world objects? RC modelers sometimes joke that you start with a block of balsa and then just carve off anything that doesn't look like an airplane. Are MC builders essentially "free-handing" it? Do they start with the whole and remove stuff or build up block by block? I don't plan on doing that anytime soon (or ever) but I'm very curious how one would approach such a task.

5 comments:

  1. For me, it's usually build up block by block, but no one ever accused me of building anything "accurate". I don't know if you like to watch youtube videos, but there are probably thousands of hours out there of people building stuff. I usually don't have enough patience (I like the ones where they start out in real time, explaining what they are/are going to do, and then slip into time lapse to finish up in a "reasonable" amount of time). That said, I almost never put in enough production effort to do that for my viewers. :( bad Dakotah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you be interested in building a biplane? (I was thinking about building one, after seeing your model)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I did, I'd want it to be large enough to have enough resolution for details.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking at the sophistication of some of these MC objects I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that people are starting with CAD type software, creating the "plan" and then following that inworld.

    ReplyDelete

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...