Thursday, February 22, 2018

What a blast!


What a blast! Sometimes literally. We had four divers for today's underwater expedition: Vance, Maha, Jane, and myself. The view underwater with the Night Vision potion really is extraordinary.

Takes me back to the beginning of my life abroad when I was working in Saudi and driving down to the deserted beaches on the Red Sea on weekends to snorkel. I packed light. Often nothing more than a sheet for sleeping, a few liters of drinking water and a packet of fig newtons purchased in a village market on the drive down. We'd be up at dawn, snorkel in the warm water for an hour or two, come grudgingly back ashore for water and a snack and a brief rest, then back out onto the amazing reef beyond which the sea floor dropped way way off. We'd do at least three sessions a day. Then climb back in the 4-wd for the bone-jarring, hair-raising drive back up from sea level to 6,000+ feet in the Asir.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is about the best I've been able to do so far.

This is about the best I've been able to do so far. I can't get comments to upload consistently to blogger. It might be a bandwidth ...